At the base of a pillar in the South Aisle a Celtic Cross may be seen, which is considered to be of 11th - 12th century origin. It is probably a consecration cross which would originally have been placed out of sight at the base of one of the Nave pillars.
The village of Overton was under siege twice during its history and both instances led to significant damage to the church followed by rebuilding. The first was in 1295 following the conquest of Wales by King Edward. Extensive rebuilding of the church took place around 1350 but the only part of that building still standing is the tower. The second siege occurred during Owain Glyndwr’s uprising in 1404. The church may have been abandoned for a time before further building took place in the mid-15th century with the Nave being enlarged with narrow aisles. The Nave Arches can still be seen today. During the 16th century the transept containing the Lady Chapel was built possibly to create a more cruciform structure. Bells were first installed in the tower in the 17th Century, and the tenor bell still bears the inscription ‘1615 Gloria deo in Excelsis’.
During the early 18th Century, the church was remodelled in the Hanoverian style with box pews and large windows. The chancel and sanctuary were added in 1710. By 1820 the vestry had been constructed between the tower, and the north aisle was given a flat roof. Three further bells were added in 1826 to complete a ring of 6, whilst two of the 1615 bells were replaced. At that time quarter chimes were added to the new clock
Sometime during the 19th Century an organ gallery had been placed at the rear of the Nave against the tower but that was removed in 1854 when the north aisle was widened, and the South Aisle was constructed to match. No evidence remains of a South transept.
During 1870 extensive restoration and improvements were carried out by the architect W M Teulon. During that time the Hanoverian features were removed including all the box pews however some remains of the box pews can be seen in the lady Chapel where they have been used to panel the wall under the window. The nave ceiling was raised by 4ft and a clerestory was added to bring more light into the nave. A steeper pitched roof on hammer beam principles supported by detached stone corbel shafts was installed and the roof boarded. The Georgian windows were all replaced with windows in a gothic style. The organ was initially placed in the north transept. Around this time parts of the original mediaeval screen were returned to the church and incorporated into the screen around the lady Chapel. In 1920 the organ was moved to the south side of the nave, and the pulpit was also moved to its present position.
The present choir stalls were carved by Miss Evelyn Wybergh who lived in Overton Hall opposite the church (now Sundorne). She was a skilled carver and was also responsible for the War Memorial and the Madonna statue in the lady Chapel. The carvings are of very high quality depicting religious scenes and wildlife. The lobster on the armrest near the pulpit is particularly interesting. Carved in memory of her mother they were installed in the church in 1935. At the same time the reredos screen behind the altar was also installed. It is oak with four panels depicting the passion and was constructed by the Chester firm of Douglas and Fordham
In 1993 the building suffered an arson attack with the fire causing considerable damage to the organ and choir vestry screen. The organ was replaced in 2004 with an instrument obtained from Bethel Chapel in Penygroes, which was closing. Built by the Birmingham firm of Ebrall in 1905 it is a large two manual tracker instrument of 22 stops.
Fine Victorian stained glass can be seen in the sanctuary and the south aisle. The windows in the sanctuary are by Clayton & Bell whilst the renowned craftsman Charles Kempe was responsible for four windows in the south aisle. Richly detailed and colourful, one bears his characteristic sheaf of wheat mark on the sleeve of one of the Magi – see if you can spot it!
In 2000 to mark the Millennium, five oval panels were commissioned for the lady Chapel window. Each panel shows a part of church and community life at that time. Interestingly the organ depicted is not the one currently in place!
We hope you will visit our beautiful church and we look forward to welcoming you.
